The Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) are designed to reduce risk, vulnerability, and overall levels of need, providing a reference frame for humanitarian and development actors to contribute to the common vision of a future where no one is left behind. As the Secretary-General noted:
The UN is the leading organization working to promote the SDGs. This contest therefore, aims to encourage photographers to “reflect on sustainable development from their perspective, express it through a photo, and share it with others.” This contest will serve to:
- Increase knowledge about the SDGs and their potential impacts on people in Yemen;
- Obtain first-hand perspective of SDGs on how people in Yemen see the SDGs and its impact;
- Contribute to promoting a group of young and female photographers.
2. How to Participate
Photographers are requested to choose one or more of the 17 SDGs that interest them most, and through their photograph answer the question “what do the SDGs mean to me?”. Entries that depict elements of SDGs in their community are encouraged. Each participant can submit up to three (3) photos.
Participants should read the the guidelines, terms and conditions of the contest; FAQ. Participants should submit their photographs by filling the Submission Form of the contest for each photograph and send by email to email@example.com .
3. Participants and Categories
The contest will be an open to everyone in Yemen with separate categories for children and adults as follows:
- Winner Best Photo, First Runner up, Second Runner Up – Girl (under 16 years)
- Winner Best Photo, First Runner up, Second Runner Up – Boy (under 16 years)
- Winner Best Photo, First Runner up, Second Runner Up – Woman (over 16 years)
- Winner Best Photo, First Runner up, Second Runner Up – Man (over 16 years)
In each category the Winner will receive $1,000. The First Runner Up will receive $500, and the Second Runner Up will receive $250. The total prize pool is $7,000.
Certificates will be presented by the UN Resident and Humanitarian Coordinator during a ceremony followed by a press releases announcing the results.
The winning photos will be printed and exhibited.
Photographs will be judged by a multi-agency along with a technical expert. This is to ensure content meets the guidelines as described. Photos will be evaluated on the following criteria:
- Originality and style;
- Creativity/visual appeal;
- Extent to which the photograph captures the essence of the theme;
- The photograph must meet the guidelines, terms and conditions of the contest.
6. Timeline and Duration
The contest will be open from 24 September 2018 until 15 October 2018, with the results announced on November in a ceremony at the UNDP Country Office.